What is a scholarship?
Scholarships are free money, and do not need to be repaid. Scholarships are worth applying for, because they help reduce the cost of your education.
Where can I find a scholarship?
Scholarships are offered by a variety of different groups and organizations. There are thousands of scholarships available each year, check out these free sources for more information about scholarships:
- College financial aid office
- High school counselor
- Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC)
- Local foundations, religious organizations, community organizations, businesses, or civic groups
- Field-related organizations or professional associations
- U.S. Department of Labor Scholarship Search Tool
Avoid Scholarship Scams
Be careful when applying for scholarships. If a scholarship opportunity sounds too good to be true, it might be. Avoid searches where fees, payments, or credit card numbers are required. There are plenty of free, legitimate scholarship searches available, so don’t fall for the hype. Never pay for scholarships!
- Visit the UMBC Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships website for more information about searching for scholarships on the web (http://www.umbc.edu/financialaid/scholarship_search.html).
- Visit the Department of Education Office of Federal Student Aid more information about searching for scholarships.
- UMBC offers a variety of different scholarship opportunities. Please visit UMBC Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships website for more information about scholarships at UMBC.