As of Spring 2019, almost 2,000 students have enrolled in the CashCourse.
In a post CashCourse impact survey
- over 70% of students indicated that engagement with the CashCourse content influenced a financial decision.
- over 83% of students believed personal financial education should be a part of all students’ educational experience at UMBC.
Comparing pre and post CashCourse surveys
- students likely to discuss creating a budget increased from 27% to 48%
- students likely to discuss the risks and benefits of credit cards increased from 31% to 44%
The FinancialSmarts Grant (a one-time $500 grant) is offered to eligible financially high-need, incoming, first-time freshmen who complete the CashCourse the summer before they enroll. Our goal is to ensure that our most financially vulnerable population of students is engaged with the financial literacy and education programing at UMBC.
- First Year, 2018-2019: 14 of the 75 completed the course and received the grant (18.7%)
- Second Year, 2019-2020: 26 of the 76 completed the course and received the grant (37.7%)